Continuing Education Position Statement
One purpose of the AzSRC is to provide Continuing Respiratory Care Education to the Respiratory Therapist. The criteria for approving programs for continuing education units (CEU) are established by the AzSRC, AARC and reflect the continuing education requirements of the Arizona State Board of Respiratory Care Examiners (BOE).
“Continuing Education” is defined as the variety of learning experiences meant to enhance the knowledge of the Respiratory Therapist, enabling them to provide safe and effective respiratory care to patients. Continuing education may also be used to:
- Define learning experiences related to the education and management of Respiratory Therapists and Respiratory Care services.
- Promote health and disease management.
- Provide patient safety.
- Discuss health care cost containment.
- Provide knowledge of healthcare law and ethics.
- Provide knowledge of emergency preparedness.
How Do I Apply for Continuing Education Units (CEUs)?
The Arizona Society for Respiratory Care (AzSRC) is one of several organizations that have been accepted by the Arizona State Board of Respiratory Care Examiners (BOE) to approve valid continuing education units (CEUs) for Arizona licensure. If a continuing education certificate has been issued by the AzSRC, it will be recognized by the Board of Examiners if it falls within the BOE guidelines. The AzSRC is not responsible for the maintaining of individual licenses. For specific licensing questions, please contact the Board of Examiners at 602-542-5995.
AZSRC APPROVAL PROCESS
(Pay, Apply, Send, Decision)
- Pay the appropriate fees as indicated on the CEU Application or CEU Invoice. (The Invoice is intended for institutions). If applying as an Individual, the cost for each program date is twenty dollars ($20) for an AARC Member / fifty dollars ($50) for a Non-AARC Member. If applying as an Institution the cost is $50 for each program date or if a CEU Invoice is completed and pre-payment received to the AzSRC, the annual cost is reduced and varied. If applying using the Institutional Invoice and the program approved, the CEU certificate can be copied and distributed to attendees of the program by the program provider.Payment can be by check or money order made out to “AzSRC,” or by credit card via the AzSRC website. NO CASH PLEASE.
Note: Any unused fees paid to the AzSRC via the Invoice, will expire annually on December 31 and will not be transferable in to the next year.
- Apply for CEUs by completing the CEU Application thoroughly and completely.
3. Send the CEU application to the AzSRC CEU Committee for Review. The application can be mailed, faxed or emailed. All current mailing information can be found on page two (2) of the CEU Application.
- A decision on approval will be granted by the CEU Committee.
If the program is approved the CEU Certificate will be mailed or emailed to the individual / institution. If the program is denied—The CEU Committee will return the application with an explanation.
- Per the Arizona State Board of Respiratory Care Examiners, all CEU certificates and documentation must be kept for a period of five (5) years. (Refer to www.rb.az.gov)
AzSRC Continuing Education Approval Criteria and Information
- ACLS, PALS, and NRP are no longer required to be approved by the AzSRC for Board of Examiners license renewal. Five (5) will be granted per course by the Board of Examiners. (See rb.az.gov) Note: Instructor courses for ACLS, PALS and NRP are NOT eligible for CEUs.
- All topics must meet the scope of practice as defined by Respiratory Care Practice . ARS R 4-44-210. Even though a topic may be pertinent to an individual practitioner, if it is in not in our scope of practice, it will not be approved. (Example, chemistry does not fall under our scope of practice except by a very indirect connection, therefore, it will not be approved.) Non-clinical topics can be approved if they fall directly under the non clinical classification ARS R-4-944-121.
- All approved CEU programs will be issued an official AzSRC certificate Providers must sign the certificate, photocopy the certificate for the participants and distribute. All information must be completed on the certificate or the certificate is considered invalid.
- An attendance roster must be used for registration at the time of the program offering. All participants receiving a copy of the certificate must sign the attendance roster for actual receipt of CEUs. The original attendance roster must be maintained by the provider / individual for a minimum of three (3) years to be available to the Board of Examiners (BOE) for their investigations.
- CEU’s are counted from the date of license. Any CEU offering must be taken within the current licensing period to qualify for continuing education credits.
- CEU’s are approved in increments of 0.5 hours.
- The AzSRC will approve programs related to the practice of Respiratory Therapy. The program faculty must be knowledgeable in the topic being taught demonstrated by an educational degree, professional experience in the subject matter or teaching experience in the subject matter. Objectives must be specific and consistent with the program expected outcomes. The AzSRC will not approve college completed courses.
- Approval will be issued when the application is legible and complete. An agenda/time breakdown must be present with the application if requesting more than three (3) CEUs. No CEU credit will be given for course introductions, breaks, testing or evaluations.
- Each program date approved will count as an individual application per the cost structure. Any subsequent dates of a program will count as another application per the cost structure. A program counts as one application regardless of length. (Example: If a program is one (1) hour in length, it will count as one application. If a program is two days in length, it will count as one application.)
- Institutions, after paying the fee, can apply for CEU credit for programs offered/sponsored by their own facility. Individuals can apply for CEUs, after paying the fee and completing the CEU application. All costs are set by the AzSRC Board of Directors.
- CEUs can be applied for any time in advance by an Institution however, applications received more than forty five (45) days following a program will not be considered for approval. Individuals applying for CEUs must submit their application after attending a program with proof of completion of that program.
- The AzSRC does not approve any successfully completed NBRC Examinations or completed college courses for CEUs. (Refer to www.rb.az.gov for acceptance of NBRC Examinations)
- Teaching modalities must be interactive and facilitated. All videos scheduled for CEU approval must be facilitated to provide for discussion of material presented. Proof of facilitation is the responsibility of, and must be provided by, the institution applying for approval.
- The AzSRC will consider online, web-based programs up to a total of 1.0 CEU per program. The individual / facility will complete the AzSRC application, pay the appropriate fee and submit the application to the CEU committee for review. If the program meets the scope of practice requirements, then up to 1.0 CEU will be approved
- A thirty (30) day period for approval of applications, after receipt by the continuing education committee, is needed.Applications can be mailed, emailed or faxed to:
Tammy Redasky / AzSRC FAX: 520-326-1075
3350 East Grant Road email@example.com
Tucson, AZ 85716
- The RCP is responsible for his/her own CEU’s. The Board of Examiners, Arizona Society for Respiratory Care, and the Continuing Education Committee will not be responsible for the individual practitioner who has not followed through with the personal responsibility for individual CEU records.